Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Kansas Ghost Town

I took to the backroads of Kansas for a weekend, looking for interesting photo ops - old barns, abandoned houses, etc. Imagine my surprise when I stumbled upon a real, genuine ghost town in what I believe was a county called Waubansee.  If I remember correctly, the town was called Voldrich.

Maurice Allen

I couldn't tell if this was an old school or an old hotel. There is an abandoned rail line right behind the building, so maybe it was a combination hotel/depot? If I blurred my focus a little, I could almost see the hustle and bustle of people of a century ago - maybe longer. Here's another view of the same building:

Maurice Allen

Across the tracks and just up the road a bit, is what looks like it might have been an old general store once upon a time:

Maurice Allen

Hard to see in the photos, but there is a remnant of an old boardwalk in front of the building. I wonder what was the purpose of the false fronts on the second floor? A lot of the old buildings from back then had those fronts on them.

Maurice Allen